What Ever Will I Wear?

Packing for a two-week excursion to Antarctica with stops in Buenos Aires and Ushuaia, Argentina seems a daunting task…at first. Fortunately, Lindblad Expedition’s website and customer service team provided clear expectations for how to “gear up”. You can check out the full packing list here. My anxiety first subsided after doing some research via the site’s FAQ’s. There, I learned that the on-board atmosphere is casual and comfortable; no need for formal attire. The average air temperature in Antarctica would be between 30 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit during our voyage. This is similar to the weather I am accustomed to during the Kentucky winter months. Thus, most of the gear suggested I already had. What’s more, the two articles of clothing I was most concerned about, a parka and footwear, would be provided! Lindblad Expeditions rented the Grosvenor Teacher Fellows a pair of fully waterproof knee-high rubber boots to keep our feet dry when stepping into shallow, icy water during wet Zodiac landings. Plus, every passenger on-board the National Geographic Explorer was supplied a fully lined windproof, water resistant parka which we got to keep!
Lindblad Expeditions has proven itself a first-class travel company for 50 years, ever since Lars-Eric Lindblad took the first group of "citizen" explorers to Antarctica in 1966. I experienced the organization’s esteemed service before my journey even began. The provided travel documents, conversations with customer support, and emails with my on-board mentor made packing and my overall preparation for the adventure extremely enjoyable. Soon I would be the one behind the lens of a camera like the photographers before me who took the beautiful pictures on the Lindblad Expedition website.