Thursday, December 29 (Departure)

Bidding farewell to the staff and crew of the National Geographic Explorer was bitter sweet. Bitter because I would miss their unique personalities and wisdom of Antarctica. Sweet because I have so many special memories from the expedition that will always reflect the faces and voices of the ship’s crew.
Staff and Crew of National Geographic Explorer
Image Credit: Steve Morello
After disembarking the ship, we boarded a bus for a tour of Ushuaia’s historic jail and military prison. Inside the tiny jail cells was more than prison relics. The museum featured many aspects of Ushuaia’s history and culture. There were models of ships, photographs of early Antarctic expeditions, and even art inspired by the White Continent like penguin sculptures.
Ushuaia’s gateway to Antarctica was now my gateway home. As our plane ascended into the clouds of South America toward Buenos Aires, I could not help but smile. In such a short amount of time, I had explored places that I never thought possible. During my flights from Buenos Aires to Miami to Nashville, I was overwhelmed with a feeling of excitement. Excited to share my experiences with those I love: family, friends, and students. My photographs and videos will never do Antarctica justice, but my accompanying stories will give others a taste of what it is like to take an Antarctic pilgrimage. My goals, teaching, and life will forever be inspired by Antarctica's beauty and wonder.