Final Thoughts

Being selected a Grosvenor Teacher Fellow has forever impacted my professional career. This experience has given me the confidence and knowledge needed to develop a strong geography library collection as well as instructional sequences that foster students’ appreciation for nature and humans.

The Grosvenor Teacher Fellow Program supports my efforts in developing a library media curriculum that embeds opportunities for students to research places and cultures, nurturing a global perspective. The Fellowship has given me the knowledge and skills to work closely with individual teachers in designing geography learning tasks that utilize library resources and emerging technologies. Geographic literacy evokes students’ readiness for a diverse society and workplace.

As teacher-librarian, I promote inquiry-based learning by challenging students to “discover” information via collaboration and research models. This experience has been invaluable to my students’ mastery of information-seeking strategies and inquiry skills founded in project-based learning. The field-experience influenced my library’s acquisition of resources and materials. Now more than ever, I am mindful of the texts, online resources, and digital tools that foster and sustain a geography curriculum.

The Fellowship has transformed the way I approach classroom instruction which has skyrocketed students' level of engagement. My students have been intensely interested in Antarctica and other remote destinations ever since I learned of my acceptance in the program last February. Instead of delivering content that I think is important about Antarctica, students have been formulating their own questions that we explore using library resources. Students have retained content knowledge and a thirst for adventure because of this program. Because of the impact the Fellowship has had on my students’ learning, I will continue to seek professional development opportunities that connect me with unique people and places. In doing so, my students will continue to develop an understanding and appreciation for this incredible planet.

The expedition exceeded my expectations ten-fold. I read the Lindblad Expedition website several times before my departure but nothing can quite prepare you for an actual voyage to a polar region besides the experience. For one, there were numerous aspects of being on-board the expedition that made it truly the trip of a lifetime. I especially enjoyed working with the naturalists. Their wealth of knowledge and skill in exploring Antarctica is inspiring. I desire more than ever to learn about the diverse wildlife and geographic features that span our planet. It was a pleasure to be able to spend time on the bridge of the ship (which I did often). I was amazed by the captain’s and officers’ experience and expertise. Our talks shed new light on all that happened during our voyage. The diversity of people on-board the ship (officers, naturalists, crew, photographers, adventurers, and guests) made the expedition a rich experience. I enjoyed talking with guests about the daily events, participating in photography workshops, and attending lectures. The overall day-to-day activities during the expedition were amazing.

I have identified four take-aways from the expedition that will forever change me and my teaching practice: dive in head first, expect the unexpected, never stop exploring, and spread the word. I learned that while it is important to prepare for adventures and be diligent about professional develop opportunities, there comes the time when you simply have to immerse yourself in the experience. My documentation of the trip via photographs, interviews, and journaling allowed me capture Antarctica as best I could. It is important to expect the unexpected when you journey to a new place. I thought I knew what to expect in Antarctica, but I was hugely mistaken. Always keep an open mind so as not to miss spectacular happenings. I also discovered that it is important to never stop exploring. Even when you think you fully grasp a topic, you learn so much more when you go out and explore first-hand. Most importantly perhaps, when you have these unique experiences, you must do your best to spread the word. Students and communities are interested in discovering more about what the world has to offer. All we have to do is give them the chance.

This experience has revealed the power of first-hand experiences. I have had the extreme pleasure of traveling to one of the most remote and pristine landscapes on Earth. I have developed a greater admiration for the animals that inhabit the world by witnessing the most spectacular events: Humpbacks surface feeding, Gentoo Penguins nesting, and seals vocalizing. I now realize the diversity that can be found in Antarctica. The voyage makes me yearn to experience life that exists in unique places across the globe.

I must now bid farewell to the White Continent. I will keep the Antarctic memories close to my heart. Always.